a non-resident visitor,
you can claim a refund for goods and services tax (GST) and the
harmonized sales tax (HST) you paid on eligible goods and/or short
term accommodation while visiting Canada.
A non-resident visitor qualifies for a tax refund if the following conditions are met:
- you are not a resident of Canada;
- you purchased eligible goods, short term accommodation or both;
- you paid GST/HST on these purchases;
- you have original receipts;
- the total of your purchase amounts (before taxes) for eligible goods and accommodation must be at least CAN$200;
- each individual receipt for eligible goods shows a minimum total purchase amount (before taxes) of CAN$50;
- the goods are removed from Canada within 60 days of the date they were purchased.
Specific information can be obtained from the pamphlet, Tax Refund for Visitors to Canada RC4031, which includes the official refund form GST115 GST/HST Refund Application for Tour Packages.
You can get your tax refund FREE OF CHARGE by just filling out the form GST115 - GST/HST Refund Application for Tour Packages and sending it to the following address:
Summerside Tax Centre
275 Pope Road
Summerside, PE, C1N 6A2, CANADA
Alternatively, if you depart Canada by a Canadian/U.S.A. land border crossing and have the goods readily available for inspection, Free Shops.
If you require specific information, please call toll free:
1-800-565-9353 (within Canada)
1-902-432-5604 (outside Canada),
or ask VEC staff after you arrive
Please note that this is not an official site. You should call one of the above numbers for accurate and current information.
You can take care of the details after you arrive. For now, the important thing to remember is that you should save all of your receipts.
If you still require more Visitor Rebate Program information, please refer to Canada Revenue Agency.